Discipline, instruction, and guidance… what do you think when you hear those words?
For the entire month of March, we will feature experts in discipline and parenting to share their knowledge and help parents and caregivers navigate the rough waters of disciplining. The wisdom that will be shared will hopefully help you raise children who are teachable and obedient to you and, most importantly, obedient to God. We will cover many topics, such as disciplining strong-willed children, disciplining children with varying cognitive abilities, the different types of consequences, and the most problematic issues parents face disciplining in today’s chaotic society.
During this episode, Lee Ann will dive into what she believes can serve as the first step in disciplining: creating a discipline plan for your children. She elaborates on the following tips:
- Pray for guidance – ask God to help you develop a discipline plan that best serves the children in your care.
- Get input from your children – ask them what they think would be helpful to learn and consider their suggestions as you develop your plan.
- Be consistent with your rules and expectations.
- Avoid physical punishment.
- Use logical consequences.
- Be patient, and remember that your children are still learning.
- Explain to them your reasons for disciplining them.
- Apologize to your child if you lose your temper.
- Always show love and grace towards your child.
Once you develop your plan, you can consider what areas of your life you need to work on the most and create a list of specific goals you would like to accomplish. Once you have your goals in mind, start working on a daily or weekly schedule to help you stay on track. Include regular Bible reading and prayer time, and ensure your other outside activities support those goals. And don’t be afraid to ask for help from a friend or mentor who can help to hold you accountable.
Hopefully, we can all learn to discipline with a positive attitude, a humble spirit, and a servant’s heart!
RCK social media:
Love this episode? Please leave us a rating/review and share this episode with a friend! You can find a list of all our episodes here.