“Ask God to help you focus on that person, the eternal spirit, that is living inside that temporary body that may have limitations.” -Sonya Shafer.
Sonya Shafer is a popular homeschool speaker and writer specializing in the Charlotte Mason Method. She has been on an adventure for more than 20 years studying, researching, practicing, and teaching Charlotte’s gentle and effective education methods. Her passion for homeschooling her own four daughters grew into helping others and then into Simply Charlotte Mason, which publishes her books and provides a place of practical encouragement to homeschoolers.
During this episode, Sonya elaborates on the following key points:
- Her podcast, Simply Charlotte Mason, talks weekly about parenting techniques and homeschooling tips using the Charlotte Mason Method.
- The Charlotte Mason approach firmly believes that your home’s atmosphere and the habits you instill educate your child.
- Physical, communicative, and comprehensive obstacles children with special needs can face when learning and tips from her experience to overcome them.
- Tips to overcoming those obstacles: simplifying your life, praying, and giving yourself grace for your mistakes.
- If we can slow down and become a student of our children and find out what makes them tick, we will be able to teach and discipline them effectively.
- Many ways to approach and communicate with a special needs child: greet the person by name, look past the limitations they have, and look them in the eyes as if you would do with any other person; instead of asking questions, make a direct observation inviting a response but not expecting or requiring one, give them some time to respond, and avoid talking about that child as if they are not there.
- Using a technique such as a mind memory to connect children to Christ. Rather than helping children memorize words and facts, help them to think about the information as a story or scene in their mind to help them remember better.
RCK social media:
Love this episode? Please leave us a rating/review and share this episode with a friend! You can find a list of all our episodes here.