“We do not need to be ‘punishing’ our children because Christ already took the punishment.” – Sarah R. Moore
Sarah R. Moore is the author of Peaceful Discipline: Story Teaching, Brain Science, and Better Behavior and the founder of Dandelion Seeds Positive Parenting. She’s a public speaker, an armchair, a neuroscientist, and, most importantly, a mother and a daughter of Christ. Sarah is a lifelong learner with training in child development, trauma recovery, interpersonal neurobiology, and improv comedy. As a certified master trainer in conscious parenting, she helps bring joy, ease, and connection back to families around the globe.
During this episode, Sarah discusses how emotional safety and connection can be used in our parenting to discipline more effectively and more like Jesus! She elaborates on the following key points from her book, Peaceful Discipline:
- Some of the many ways Jesus taught people throughout the Bible can be used in parenting when disciplining children.
- We can teach our children the story of Zacchaeus from the Bible – he was a tax collector known as a bad guy who sinned often; instead of punishing and perishing him, God taught him through emotional safety and connection that there was another way.
- Jesus also taught through parables – it was always connection-based, and these stories illustrate what God’s love is like and how to live for God.
- We all have a part of the brain called the hippocampus, which allows everyone to be a natural storyteller and create narrative memories.
- When we directly access the hippocampus part of a child’s brain, it is emotionally safe for them, and we are using a tool that Jesus used himself.
- Jesus took all the punishment for all his believers; therefore, we do not have to punish our children, although there are consequences for their behavior.
- When we look at our children, we can see our father’s face in Heaven.
“Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.” – Romans 8:1.
Sarah’s social media:
RCK social media:
Love this episode? Please leave us a rating/review and share this episode with a friend! You can find a list of all our episodes here.