As the Christmas season begins more and more churches are offering fewer opportunities for children to be engaged in their Sunday School and/or mid-week ministries. Whether you offer these opportunities or not, it is definitely time to evaluate what you have been doing, what has been working, and what has not – or what you might be able to improve.
When you evaluate, it is definitely time to look at the curriculum you have been using and how effective a tool it has been to help you do the things which matter most –
- Help children understand, remember, and know how to live God’s Word.
- Engage children so they are able to learn the “whats” – what the Bible says and what the difference is it makes in their lives to know these things.
- Engage children so they are able to learn the “whys” – why we are able to believe God is real, the Bible is true, God and science DO go together, and God is good.
- Engage parents/grandparents so they are able to continue the learning at home.
- Teach God’s Word in a consistent and intentional way – not just “hop, skip, and jump” your way through Bible people and events – so children learn why God wanted them to know about specific Bible people and events.