James 1:5 states, “If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.”
Sometimes kids can figure things out on their own. Other times, if they can’t, they become frustrated and overwhelmed, and can’t seem to resolve problems on their own. As parents, we can exhibit effective problem-solving for our children to mirror. We should strive to be wise like Solomon and peaceful like Jesus!
During this episode, Lee Ann elaborates on these age-appropriate suggestions to help parents when trying to guide children who are faced with a problem that they can’t seem to diffuse or resolve:
- Take some space and let them cool down; let them tell you when they are feeling better and are ready to reconnect to try and resolve the issue.
- Use a fun Bible story to help them relate to someone in the Bible.
- Let them express what they want out of the situation through creative play such as puzzles, building blocks, or legos.
- Ask “what if” questions to help them become critical thinkers.
- Use the Bible to find words and verses that can help seek a solution for their feelings.
- Ask open-ended questions to let them figure them out on their own.
- For larger problems, make sure to break them down into smaller sections and discuss what can be done each step of the way.
- Ask for professional help if needed from a teacher or expert.
And for all age groups, praise them when they have resolved the issue! Kids love to feel good about completing something especially when they feel like they did it themselves.
5 simple questions your children can learn to ask themselves when they feel overwhelmed: Step 1: What am I feeling? Step 2: What’s the problem that I can’t seem to resolve? Step 3: What are some solutions? Step 4: What would happen if I did this? Step 5: Which one will I try?
Resources to assist you when helping your children diffuse and resolve issues:
RCK social media:
Love this episode? Please leave us a rating/review and share this episode with a friend! You can find a list of all our episodes here.
Podcast: Play in new window
SUBSCRIBE RSS | SUBSCRIBE TO THE RCK PODCAST