1 Peter 1:15-16 states, “But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: ‘Be holy, because I am holy.’”
For us to be holy and to be able to teach our kids to be holy, we need to explain to them and help them understand what it means to be holy. We, as Christians, are set apart from sin because sin separates us from God and moral purity. However, we do sin, so how can we be set apart or holy like God? Only through faith in Christ. When we believe that Christ took the penalty for our sins, and His Holy Spirit dwells within us and guides us, we are now set apart and united with God. However, we will continue to sin while we are in the flesh. It’s the dual nature that dwells in us. Holiness is not just about following rules and regulations; it’s about being used by God for His purpose.
During this episode, Lee Ann elaborates on how we can exemplify holiness for our children by showing humility, love, tolerance, discipline, peace, faithfulness, and mercy.
To understand God’s holiness is always different from ours, God is:
- Infinite – he is self-existing.
- Immutable – he never changes.
- Self-sufficient- he has no needs.
- Omnipotent – he is all-powerful.
- Omniscient – he is all-knowing.
- Omnipresent – He is always everywhere.
Deuteronomy 14:2 states, “You have been set apart as holy to the Lord your God, and he has chosen you from all the nations of the earth to be his own special treasure.”
Lee Ann also elaborates on these five suggestions to help children understand what it means to be holy:
- Be a role model.
- Help children understand the importance of upholding virtuous morality in everyday life.
- Practice regular prayer time and reading the Bible to be connected to the source of holiness.
- Encourage a desire to serve others.
- Help your child recognize their actions, motivations, and emotions, and guide them towards self-improvement.
Resource mentioned: “Be Holy,” by Calvary Chapel.
RCK social media:
Love this episode? Please leave us a rating/review and share this episode with a friend! You can find a list of all our episodes here.